Tips To Stay Healthy This Monsoon Season
Dr. Komal Gandhi
After the sweltering heat, monsoons are heartily welcomed. The earthy smell of wet lands and breezy mornings is something everyone eagerly awaits for, during this season. However with the relief from the hot weather, the monsoons also carry along with them an array of bacterial infections which can take a toll on your body and overall health. Let us equip ourselves with the do’s and dont’s so as to maintain a good health during this season.
- Always consume boiled water during monsoons and other wise also. One of the most important factors for diseases like jaundice, typhoid and dysentery is consumption of contaminated water. Drinking boiled water can help prevent falling prey to such illnesses
- Wash all fruits and vegetables thoroughly with water to remove all the dirt well.
- Try to eat fresh cooked food or always heat the food if precooked. Warm dals, warm soups can help lower the inflammation.
- Avoid leafy green vegetables during the monsoon season as they are susceptible to germs due to the dampness and grime in the air.
- Eat in moderation as the body finds it difficult to digest heavy food items. Moong dal is one choice during monsoons as it is easy to digest.
- Have warm drinks infused with ginger, mint, pepper, lemon grass, tulsi and turmeric. It will have a soothing effect. It will also help sooth sore throat, common colds and other monsoon related respiratory complaints.
- Oily foods such as pakoras, samosas, fries etc. are very tempting in this season, but try staying away from it as much as possible as during the monsoons the digestive processes slow down which can cause a variety of health issues, water retention being one common side effect due to presence of extra salt in such foods.
- Try to keep up your exercise regime and sweat out the extra moisture. Monsoons can be depressing for some but exercising regularly can help release the happy hormones and make you feel better and positive.
Here’s wishing all of you a very happy and safe monsoon!
June 29, 2019
June 29, 2019
May 28, 2019