Thyroid illness – Hypothryoidism and Hyperthyroidism, causes, symptoms, diagnosis and Homeopathic treatment
What is Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism or an underactive thyroid is the condition of the thyroid gland wherein the gland does not produce enough of thyroid stimulating hormone.
It is observed that as women cross the age of 60 years, they are more likely to suffer from hypothyroidsm. An underactive thyroid causes a multitude of health issues. Although it is less known to cause symptoms in the early stages, untreated and over a long period of time, hypothyroidism can cause a number of health related problems such as excessive weight gain or obesity, joint complaints like joint pain, infertility and heart disease.
Causes of Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidsim results from an underactive thyroid gland which means that the gland doesn’t produce enough hormones.
The causes of hypothyroidism could be
1. Autoimmune (the body’s immunity working against its own tissues
2. Congenital (defective thyroid gland from birth)
3. Surgery where in a significant portion of the thyroid gland is removed
4. While treating hyperthyroidism, the medication used for it can give rise to hypothyroidism
5. Certain medicines like lithium which is used in treatment of certain psychiatric disorders can also lead to hypothyroidism
Signs and Symptoms of hypothyroidism
1. Sense of tiredness and weakness
3. Dryness of skin
5. Hair fall
6. Swelling on the face and other parts of the body
7. Excessive sleepiness
8. Low mood
9. Raised blood cholesterol level
10. Raised blood pressure
11. Reduced or impaired memory
12. Intolerance to cold
Complications of hypothyroidism
Goiter – the gland enlarges due hypothyroidism and shows up as a significant swelling along the midline of the neck
Cretinism – lack of thyroid hormone in children leads to delayed milestones, stunted growth and poor brain development
Myxedema – collection of myxedematous tissue in various parts of the body due to hypothyroidism. It gives rise to visible swelling in the affected parts.
Infertility – due to impairment in ovulation
Enlargement of heart and heart failure
Homeopathic treatment and homeopathic medicine for hypothyroidism Every individual is different and therefore each one of them presents with different individual characteristics in the same disease. Homeopathy works very well in treatment of hypothyroidism as it understands the person who suffers from hypothyroidism. The homeopathic treatment of hypothyroidism is without any side effects. In fact in the long term homeopathy can also help improve immunity. Since homeopathy works on improving the immunity, it can also help in treatment of autoimmune hypothyroidism.
Hyperthyrodism Hyperthyroidism is a condition of the thyroid gland wherein the thyroid gland functions excessively. It produces too much of thyroid hormone. This causes an overall increase in basal metabolic rate. Causes of Hyperthyroidism An overactive thyroid gland leads to hyperthyroidism
- Graves’ disease, it is an autoimmune disorder. Antibodies are produced by the immune system to stimulate the thyroid gland to produce excess of T-4 hormone. This is the commonest cause of hyperthyroidism. This is likely to be genetic in nature.
- An over functioning thyroid gland can cause hyperthyroidism in conditions such as toxic adenoma, multinodular goiter and Plummer’s disease. In these conditions, one or more adenomas or tumors of the thyroid gland produce excess of T-4 hormone.
- Thyroiditis or swelling and inflammation of the thyroid gland can also cause hyperthyroidism. This inflammation leads to lot of thyroid hormone being stored inside the thyroid gland eventually letting it leak into the blood stream. Types are sub-acute granulomatous thyroiditis and post-partum thyroiditis. inside the thyroid gland eventually letting it leak into the blood stream. Types are sub-acute granulomatous thyroiditis and post-partum thyroiditis.
Signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism
Increased heart rate
Intolerance of heat
Dryness of skin
Thinning and brittle hair
Changes in menstrual cycles
Nervousness, irritability and anxiety
Complications of hyperthyroidism
Heart – Disorders of the heart rhythm like atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure
Bones – Weak and brittle bones due to reduced calcium absorption in bones
Eyes – bulging eye balls, double vision (diplopia), redness of eyes and vision
Skin – Redness and swelling of skin
Thyroid crisis – This is an emergency situation wherein there is a sudden flare up of all symptoms of hyperthyroidism leading to increased heart rate, fever and delirium.
Homeopathic treatment and homeopathic medicine for hyperthyroidism
Homeopathy is known to relieve the discomfort caused due to thyroid disease in a gentle manner and without any side effects. The homeopathic doctor assesses each case in details and addresses to the inner most conflicts that give rise to disease. Once the conflict is known and the right homeopathic medicine is given, the disease can be treated very well.