Homeopathic Treatment for IBS
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a type of gastrointestinal disorder which affects the large intestine. Common signs and symptoms include abdominal pain, flatulence and gas formation, cramps, altered bowel habits, intolerance of certain food. it is a chronic condition that needs to be managed on a long term basis. Mild symptoms of IBS can be controlled and treated to a certain extent by bringing about changes in the diet, lifestyle and stress management on a daily basis. IBS does not cause bowel tissue changes hence reduces the risk of colorectal cancer.
Signs and symptoms of IBS greatly vary. During certain periods one may experience an aggravation of the symptoms, however the common ones include-
- Pain in the abdomen with or without gas formation
- Cramps and bloated feeling that may be relieved by passage of gas
- Altered motions- diarrhoea or constipation
- Stools with mucus
- The exact cause of IBS is not known, some factors that are known to cause IBS are-
- Altered muscle contractions in the intestine- frequent and increased contractions of the intestinal walls can lead to gas formation, bloating and loose stools. Weak or poor intestinal contractions can lead to slow passage of food leading to hard and less quantity of stools. Any alteration than the normal can give rise to symptoms suggestive to IBS
- Inflammation of the intestinal lining
- Infections- commonly caused by bacteria or virus can give rise to symptoms.
- Improper co-ordination signals between the brain (hypothalamus) and the intestines can cause digestive distubances giving rise to symptoms such as pain, alterned stools.
- Alteration in the gut microflora. Common triggers include
- Food allergies and intolerance to certain food substances like wheat, dairy products, nuts etc.
- Stress- some individuals may experience and increased in the symptoms during stressful periods.
- Hormonal fluctuations and imbalances especially in women during their menstrual periods are known to cause an aggravation of symptoms
- Youngsters are more prone to develop IBS as compared to the elderly group of individuals
- Females are more prone to develop IBS due to fluctuating hormonal levels
- Genetic factor or a significant family history of IBS
- Emotional factors such as anxiety, depression are known to be associated with IBS
Role of Homeopathic Treatment for IBS
Homoeopthy has a definite benefit in such cases where there are multiple cause and emotional disturbed state affecting an individual as a whole. Homoeopathic medicines are safe and with proper balance of diet IBS could be effectively managed with great success.