Constipation – Homeopathic Treatment, Causes And Diagnosis
What is constipation?
Constipation is slow movements of intestines and/or difficulty in passing stools that stays for many weeks, months or even longer. Constipation is also described as having less than three bowel movements a week.
Occasional constipation although very common, few people suffer from chronic or long lasting constipation. Such constipation may interfere with the patient’s ability to carry out and finish their daily tasks. Constipation is also likely to cause lot of straining at stool or having a bowel movement. It may
also cause other signs and symptoms.
Treatment for chronic constipation depends in part on the underlying cause. However, in some cases, a cause is never found.
What are the causes of constipation?
Constipation is most common when our waste product or what we call as ‘stool’ moves through our digestive track too slowly or if it cannot be removed properly from our rectum. This can cause the stool to become very hard and dry.
Constipation may have the following causes
1. Blockages in the colon or rectum which may be a result of anal fissure, large bowel obstruction, cancer of the large intestine, narrowing of the colon which may be caused by a bowel stricture, other cancers of the abdomen that can presses upon the colon, cancer of the rectum, bulging of the rectum through the back wall of the vagina (rectocele)
2. Problems with the network of nerves around the rectum and colon-which may be due to autonomic neuropathy(illness of the automated part of the nervous system), multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, injury to the spinal cord, stroke, difficulty with the muscles involved in removal of stools
3. Problems with the muscles of the pelvis involved in having a bowel movement can also cause chronic constipation. These problems may include, inability to relax muscles of the pelvis to allow for a smooth bowel movement (anismus), pelvic muscles not coordinating between relaxation and contraction in the right way (dyssynergia), weakness of the pelvic muscles
4. Conditions that affect hormones in the body may include diabetes, an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), an overactive parathyroid gland (hyperparathyroidism) and pregnancy.
What are the signs and symptoms of constipation?
1. The person passes less than three stools in a week
2. Experiencing lumpy or hard stools
3. Lot of straining for bowel movements
4. There is a feeling as if there is a block in your rectum(the place where stool is stored in its final stages) which prevents bowel movements
5. There is a feeling as if you cannot completely evacuate stools from the rectum
6. Needing help to empty your rectum, such as using your hands to press on your abdomen and using a finger to remove stool from your rectum
*your constipation may be termed as chronic constipation if you've experienced two or more than two of the above mentioned symptoms for at least the past three months.
What are the risk factors for constipation?
Factors which are likely to cause an increase in your risk of having constipation may include
1. Old age
2. Female are more prone
3. Dehydration may increase the risk of constipation
4. Eating a low fiber diet
5. Having little no physical activity whatsoever
6. Some of the medications like narcotics, sedatives, depression medicines or medicines that lower blood pressure
7. Mental health issue like depression or eating disorder
What are the complications of constipation?
1. Swollen veins in the anus (also known as hemorrhoids or piles) Torn skin in your anus (anal fissure).
2. A very large or hard stool may cause the some part of the wall of the anus to tear.
3. Impacted stools or the stool that cannot be expelled from the rectum.
4. Constipation may also cause accumulation of hard stools that may get stuck in your intestines.
5. Prolapsed rectum or intestine that bulges from the anus. Straining for stools may cause a small part of the rectum to stretch itself and protrude from the anus.
What is the treatment for constipation?
Homeopathic medicine for constipation
Homeopathy understands constipation not just as a disease. It is instead a sign of some underlying disturbance. Homeopathy aims at understanding the entire person suffering from the illness, thus also helping her/him to deal with the illness in a better fashion. Homoeopathic medicines are natural and absolutely safe to consume. They can help treat constipation very well. Homeopathic medicines help treat the root-cause of constipation, the cause that is responsible for the condition without any side effects or damage in the long run. It is always recommended to start homeopathy as the first line of
treatment for constipation. Do not wait for your constipation to become chronic and consult your homeopath to start homeopathy immediately.
1. Avoid processed foods, dairy and non-vegetarian foods.
2. Do regular and moderate exercise
3. Try to manage stress.
4. Consume lot of high-fiber food which also includes vegetables, beans, , whole grains, fruits, bran and cereals.
5. Pass stool whenever there is an urge, do not suppress the urge to pass stools.
6. Hydrate yourself well by drinking plenty of fluids.
7. Children who begin to eat solid foods must get lot of fiber in their diets.
8. Creating a regular schedule for bowel movements can especially help relieve constipation.