Basics of Diet for Diabetes
By Dr. Namrata Lohade
1. All the food should be Plant based. This means no animal products including meat, chicken, eggs, and dairy products like milk, cheese, butter, curds, ice-cream.
2. All the food should be whole. This means no sugar, no oil, no packaged food, white rice, maida, rava, sabudana etc. Do not remove the skin of groundnuts, vegetables, fruits as far as possible.
3. All food should be organic.
4. Do not consume more than 10 nuts in a day.
5. Patient can eat as much of fruits, vegetables, seeds, and grains. There is no quantity restriction.
6. Fruits should be eaten separately, preferably on empty stomach. They can be mixed with leafy greens to make a smoothie.
7. You may use dry fruits like dates, figs and raisins as sweeteners. Coconut, roasted peanuts, roasted sesame should act as oil replacement.
8. One must avoid using aluminium cookware, microwave ovens, or non-stick cookware.
9. Replace iodised salt with rock salt/sea salt/black salt.
10. Avoid food with High Glycemic index.
Glycemic index (GI) is a number associated with a particular type of food that indicates the food’s effect on a person’s blood sugar level. A value of 100 represents the standard, an equivalent amount of pure glucose.
• Eat whenever you are hungry and have as much quantity as you want
• Since blood sugar level drops down very fast with WFPB and patient is already on Hypoglycemic Medication; there are chances of Hypoglycemia. So patient has to keep handy food like dates, raisins, figs, any fruit ( especially ones with high GI) handy and have it immediately if there is Hypoglycemia.
• This diet should be followed under professional nutritional guidance.
• Blood sugar levels have to be monitored diligently during the diet transition.
• Medication needs to be adjusted only by consulting physicians.
WFPB along with some regular exercise/yoga & homoeopathic treatment constitute a holistic treatment approach to help the patient reverse the Diabetes, prevent the complications of it & thus enjoy the Harmony of Health!
• ‘Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes’- Book by Neal D. Barnard
• Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
• Tackling Diabetes With a Bold New Dietary Approach: Neal Barnard at TEDxFremont
Dr. Namrata Lohade is a Nutrition consultants at ‘the other song’ clinic are available daily to guide you further:
Monday to Friday: 9.30 am to 1.30 pm
Saturdays: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Skype consultation can be done from 9.30 am IST to 1:30 pm IST, Monday to Saturday with prior appointment.
April 27, 2019
April 27, 2019
March 30, 2019